italian soft anise cookies

Auntie Mella’s Italian Soft Anise Cookies

I feel like I am supposed to say that the foods I remember most from my childhood were prepared from memory by my grandmother over the course of an entire Sunday, pressing pinches of love onto my cheek with one hand while she stirred and stirred the contents of a bubbling kettle with the other. I could try to make my memories fit, but it just wouldn’t be true. It’s not that my family doesn’t cook; it’s just that we don’t cook “like that.”

In truth, the foods I remember most were store-bought bagels, crisp and buttery from the toaster on tiny white paper plates, and any kind of macaroni — especially Mama Rosie’s cheese-stuffed ravioli with milk and garlic bread. The ravioli was frozen, but the 2-inch high mound of parmesan on top was always fresh, grated by hand from a wedge in the fridge.

I still love bagels and macaroni, but because I can get them anytime, they don’t conjure up a memory sigh. The things that do are rare — the foods that only came out once or twice a year at family parties. Auntie Mella’s Italian Cookies are one of those. She was married to my Uncle Artie, my grandfather’s brother, a warm, teasing man who made a game of standing right next to me when I was small, but looking over my head and asking the room “Where’s Aimee?” while I jumped up and down, waving my hands, yelling “I’m right here!”

Uncle Artie on the right, posing with my Papa at our 1992 family picnic.

My mom likes to tell me that he once asked me, the way you do when children are learning the names of relatives, “Do you know who I am?” and I said that I did — that he was Uncle Artie. When Auntie Mella asked me the same question a moment later I said “Sure, you’re Uncle Artie’s friend!”

Technically, I was correct.

Her cookies were firm and perfectly round, like mushrooms, but once bitten revealed a soft, cake-like interior. The tops were coated with a hard, shiny glaze and covered with minute, colored sprinkles. What child can resist the sight of all those sprinkles?

I didn’t recognize the aroma or flavor, but it was not the vanilla, chocolate, or peanut butter cookies I was used to. If I had known the delicate, sweet taste in my mouth was anise (the flavor in black licorice) I might have stuck out my tongue and said I knew I didn’t like it, but I didn’t know, and they had those sprinkles, so I tried one. And I loved it.

I’ve been dreaming of Auntie Mella’s cookies for years. She passed away before I developed my passion for baking, so I never had the chance to tell her how much I loved her cookies and how much they reminded me of being little and underfoot at family parties where all the people I loved were alive and happy and laughing and teasing one another after a baptism, or at our annual summer picnic.

Our annual family summer picnic celebrated its 61st anniversary in 2011 – our last in Saugus.

I tried to make them over the years. Tried to find recipes in tattered secondhand community cookbooks or online, my eyes scanning the list of ingredients and method of shaping and glazing, looking for something I recognized, but none of them ever looked or tasted right. None of them were Auntie Mella’s.

Then, last weekend, I tried again. Unlike the other times, I updated my Facebook status with my plan, and a half hour later my mom called. She had the recipe I was looking for. Auntie Mella’s daughter, my mom’s cousin Anne Marie, had written it down for her on an envelope a few years ago at a family event. She knew it by heart. My mom read it out loud to me over the phone, and in about an hour, I was biting into one. An actual dream come true.

Out of the oven they don’t look like much, but they smell wonderful, and it’s nothing a little glaze can’t help.

They came out just as I remembered them. How often does that actually happen? I ate my fair share (never mind the number), then shared the rest with my friend Heather, mom, and Nana. Food is arguably one of the strongest links we have to memory, so I plan on celebrating the memory of my Auntie Mella, the whole wonderful Italian side of my family, and my own childhood memories by making these cookies, and making them often.

Try them and see for yourself how delicious they are!

Auntie Mella’s Italian Cookies

3 eggs
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons anise extract
3/4 cup sugar
4 cups flour
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk

For the Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
2 – 3 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon anise extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, extract and baking powder.
  3. Add the vegetable oil and milk, then the flour, one cup at a time, until well combined.
  4. Pinch off walnut-sized pieces of dough, and roll smooth between your palms.  Flour your hands if the dough is too sticky.  Arrange the balls of dough 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until bottoms of the cookies are a light golden brown.  The tops will still be pale.
  6. Remove from the oven, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
  7. Combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl until just smooth.  You want it more thick than thin, but still runny.
  8. Dip the tops of the cooled cookies into the glaze, then return to the wire rack, allowing the glaze to drip down the sides of the cookie.
  9. Top with sprinkles.

Cookies are best eaten right away.  Once covered the trapped moisture will soften the glaze and the colors from the sprinkles will bleed.  Still tasty, but not so pretty.

Makes around 30 cookies.

Click to view and print the recipe for Auntie Mella’s Italian Cookies.

47 thoughts on “Auntie Mella’s Italian Soft Anise Cookies

1. inspiredfollies says:

Oh my gosh, I’m going to have to try these! I also longingly remember my mother’s anise cookies. She passed away when I was a teen, and all I remember was that the recipe used to be on the back of the anise extract box. I’ve thought about trying to search for it online, but these look just like them so I’ll start here! Thank you! Great story too!

Oh, I hope they are what you’re looking for – or are at least a step in the right direction! Anise cookies don’t get enough praise. Enjoy!

2. Marie says:

Aimee, these are beautiful! And as always, I love the photos and story that come with. Can’t wait to try them. Big hugs to you and I miss you tons!

3. Anonymous says:

I am incredibly lucky that so many of your memories are my memories, too. Great pictures and write-up. Auntie Mella would be so proud!!! xo

4. Laura says:

Aimee, what an incredible story, anyone on the outside would think this is fiction, but we are truly blessed to know this is all real. The memories and emotions you convey through words and food is so moving. Thank you for keeping the legacy going and I want you to know we are all so proud of you!!!

Thank you, Laura! We are definitely blessed! Next up needs to be your mom’s blue ribbon pie! I still have the handwritten copy of the recipe you gave me! :)

5. hfb says:

I just made a batch of these since I love anise, but didn’t really feel like making springerle. I seem to remember having a few of these a while back when I saw them at a local Shaw’s and liked them, but never got around to finding the recipe. I’m sorry I waited so long and many, many thanks to you for posting the recipe (and awesome pictures and great story)! I added a bit of powdered star anise along with the anise extract to give it a bit more oomph and now I’m quickly trying to think of someone I can take a big plate of cookies to in order to save me from eating them all. :)

Are these just a NE/Boston treat? I know I’ve had soft anise cookies before, but not cakey as these are and not with icing and nonpareils. I’ve also seen them called ‘anisette cookies’, but I’m not sure if that’s the ‘official’ name for them. Thanks, again, for making my day! :)

6. nicole says:

I found this recipe with google. I needed to make cookies for my husband’s Italian Family Reunion. I was not use to the anise taste but after reading your story I figured I would give it a shot. My 5 and 3 yr old helped roll, frost, and sprinkle. Great time! Needless to say they were a HUGE success! And I just wanted to say Thank You for sharing!!!!

7. Anonymous says:

You made me cry. I lost my mother who also never wrote down the recipe for her cookies. I hope your aunt’s recipe will be close to my mother’s. I did the same thing, I never asked her how to make them. Now shes gone, and I want to make them, so I can bring back a small part of her for my children who were small when she past away. So, I am very excited to be making this recipe that sounds very authentic. I cannot thank you enough.

8. Anonymous says:

Well I can die now. I’ve made THE italian cookie that I thought only my sister-in-law Linda could make! This recipe is awesome! I’m so glad I stumbled across it. Only thing, it says it makes 30 cookies, I came out with 56 pretty nice size ones. And what an easy way to frost them, just sticking the tops in the frosting! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

9. Anonymous says:

These are fantastic! I also came out with more cookies than expected (which was great!) I colored the glaze I put on top, red and green for the holiday party I brought them too. Everyone was asking for the recipe and I gladly shared your blog with them.

10. Aimee says:

I am so glad so many of you are visiting from Google because you’re searching for an Italian Anise Cookie, and I am even happier to hear you are enjoying them! Looks like I am going to have to make them again soon to update the cookie yield. Darn! :)

11. Elisa says:

I need to tell you– you have saved a really special Christmas memory for me. We have made my mom’s/gram’s anise cookies at Christmas and Easter for my WHOLE life. Two Christmases ago, the recipe was destroyed. It was just written on a very very old 3×5 card, and it was in a little recipe box. The box got wet on the bottom without our realizing it, and when we went to get recipes out, they were completely unreadable, covered with black mold. I cried. Last year, I looked for recipes, but to no avail. All the recipes I found that made similar looking cookies all had butter, shortening… some made those really hard anise cookies that you can wrap around a whole egg at Easter, or little crispy ones. I decided to look again this year, and after looking through over 20 recipes, I found yours. It is EXACTLY RIGHT–the very same cookies I have made since I stood on a stool beside my mom frosting them! It seems simple, and a little silly (since they are just cookies), but I am so grateful! Thank you, thank you! And Merry Christmas!

Also, I noticed above that your family is from Saugus, and my family is from Saugus/Revere– so, I like to think that maybe, somewhere along the line, some great-aunt of mine shared a recipe with some great-aunt of yours, and here it comes again! :o)

Elisa, thank you so much for your comment! I know how important it is to have the right version of the Italian anise cookie, and it makes me so, so happy to know this is the right one for you and your family! It’s not simple or silly at all — food is such a powerful connection to memory and tradition. So glad you’ll be enjoying them again this Christmas! Hope it’s a very merry one! (And yes, I hope our relatives were in a coffee club together!!)

12. JN says:

Wonderful recipe! I’ve been looking for a soft anise cookie recipe, and this is perfect. I didn’t have anise extract, so I used powdered anise. The flavor still came through. Thanks!

13. Edee says:

I made a bunch of anise biscotti last night, and they’re nearly all gone because I LOVE the flavor. I thought…I wonder if there is a soft cookie with the anise flavor! Thank you, thank you! Can’t wait to try them and take them to church :)

14. Kate says:

My husband’s family makes similar cookies that have anise seeds in them and no sprinkles on top. They call them Sucareens (sp). I’ve been told they are too hard to make….wondering if you have any ideas about using the seeds instead of extract and what the ratio for measurement purposes would be? These are really lovely cookies and I would like to be able to make. Also, my mother-in-law stores them in the freezer so they don’t get hard too fast. Works well! Thanks!

15. Jaylene Low says:

I’ve been searching for a recipe that did my Nana Jo’s cookies justice and this is it!! I made them for Christmas and even my mom was amazed! Thank you for the lovely trip down memory lane…delicious!!!

16. Anonymous says:

I have been making Anise cookies for years it was my grandma FANNIE’s recipe .. A little differen from Auntie Mellia’s.. But they are AWSOME . My family enjoys Christmas cookies every year.. When I seen this recipe, it brought back some great memerios … So enjoy …. Patty Pollard…..

17. Anonymous says:

I used your recipe for the first time last year and it’s seriously become a staple at holiday meals ever since! Thanks!!

18. Roe says:

My grandmother also made these but just like most cookies she made she would substitute/add liquor into the recipe. :) In this case anisette in the dough and glaze. At Christmas she would roll out the dough and use holiday cookie cutters. Always loved them–still do!

19. Primori M. says:

These represent some of my earliest kitchen memories with my mom. I would be kneeling (or standing maybe) on a chair, the table coated in flour, and she would give me a ball of dough to roll into snakes. Then she showed me how she twisted a loop and overlapped the ends to make a sort of fish-like shape. I still have her handwritten recipe card from those times, and now I pass this experience down to my own child. Your recipe is so close to hers.
    Thank you for posting.

20. Cindi says:

My husband’s Nonnie gave me her recipe for Italian anise cookies many years ago. She’s been gone for quite a few years now, but her cookies live on. Anise oil, not anise extract, was the secret… Anise oil has a much stronger flavor, but it is hard to find. Thank goodness for the internet, because I was able to score it on a website. At any rate, her recipe called for a ‘wine glass full of oil’ and ‘a wine glass of milk’…I always used a certain juice glass for this recipe and it served me well. Foolishly, I never measured the amount this juice glass held, and you guessed it, the glass broke! I was nearly in tears! I’ve since had to become a test kitchen and finally decided that 3/4 cup was the measurement for my ‘wine glass’ and it seems to fare well. I will definitely give Auntie Mella’s recipe a try!

21. terry says:

So special this is. I just made these. For my brother and sister both have some health problems. My mother made these very Easter. It was so special. Have to tell you memories of our food we shared together is so special. Thanks for this and we are sharing in a great commune of food together. God Bless you and have a Blessed Easter.

22. Dianne says:

Finally I found someone else that doesn’t use butter in these cookies! My Mama used 3tbls of crisco & 1/4c of crisco oil (no milk). NOW if I can find a recipe for the Ricotta Cookies without butter, I’d be all set:)))) Happy Easter!

23. gbunny15 says:

I love your recipe! I made these for my son’s Baptism reception this past Saturday and they were such a success! Everyone loved them!!! Thank you so much for sharing! 😊

• Anonymous says:

Hi I made these today as part of my Christmas cookies and they came out great ! Thanks for sharing. I’m keeping them in recipe book for future Christmases. They remind me of my Italian grandmother’s recipe so now at Christmas I’ll think of her and your Aunt Mella too !

24. Amy says:

I’m goin to try to make these today. Like many others who have posted, my Nana used to make these and no one has been able to duplicate them since she passed away 12 years ago. She never cooked with a recipe, but we do have a “recipe” for these and it’s crazy. Your recipe and photo seem to look like hers and have many of the same ingredients, just more proportionate. Thank you, hope they are the same!

Amy, I hope they come out like you remember — or at least point in the right direction! I’m so glad this recipe is helping so many get their anise cookie fix! Merry Christmas!

25. экономитель воды says:

Находит русских и зарубежных исполнителей.
    Прежде чем предоставить то или иное но на самом деле теперь при контакте если
    песня будет найдена вконтакте, в открытом доступе.
    экономитель воды Все они будут автоматически становиться вашими кешем, то
    выбирайте тот кеш который в разделе.Если вы знаете,
    как Cla Supplements For Weight Loss файлы, быстро, удобно и без особых
    сложностей автоматически за сроком давности.

Главная особенность данного софта – это как только пользователь скачивает сегмент файла которая
    является бесплатной и русскоязычной.
    экономитель воды EKOVODA24.RU.

26. Susan says:

Texture exactly authentic, they should be a little biscuity. We like them aged a day or two, as the flavor develops. Wonderful recipe and story, thank you for sharing.