DSC_1824

Easy Mini Veggie Chili Pot Pies

I love veggie chili from scratch and I make it often.  It’s one of my few “savory” meals I can make without staring at a recipe, which means it’s always different, but always spicy and hearty.

But sometimes, my friends, I cheat a little and make it “the easy way”.

This involves:

• Box of Fantastic World Foods Vegetarian Chili (which is basically a pouch of seasoning and freeze-dried soy crumbles)
  • Bag of frozen diced onion
  • Bag of frozen red and green peppers strips
  • Can of black beans, drained
  • Can of kidney beans, drained
  • “Big can” of diced tomatoes
  • Water
  • Sea salt, cumin, chili powder to taste

I ate a few bowls of this straight up the last time I made it, but then I saw this post for Chili Pot Pies from Ellie at Vintage Victuals and was inspired to dress the next few bowls up a little.

All it took was some Pyrex refrigerator dishes and a tube (yes…tube) of reduced fat crescent roll dough.

Oh yeah, and a generous sprinkle of grated Kerrygold cheddar.

Heat up the chili first, then spoon it into the oven-proof bowl and add some delicious cheese.

Drape the crescent dough over the top, pinch to seal, and bake at 375 degrees for 15 or so minutes.

Then eat!  It feels so much fancier this way but still tastes great and warms you right up.

My next post will involve an actual recipe, I promise…

21 thoughts on “Easy Mini Veggie Chili Pot Pies

1. Megan says:

Nothing wrong with cheating sometimes… when it comes to getting dinner on the table. I think this looks delicious! I love the dish you made it in too.

2. Aimee says:

thanks, ladies! it’s not macarons, but it stopped the stomach grumbling!
    megan, i love any and all colored pyrex. 🙂

that’s right! you know the one…it’s bigger than the “normal” ones.
      i give my readers lots of credit. 🙂

3. Fatima says:

This looks soooo beautiful that I feel it can be in Vegetarian Times! You should see when they have reader entries and you should enter this one! I’m sure they would feature you because it looks amazing, it must taste heavenly (and it is definitely hearty), and it looks easy to prepare! I love it! I have the issue when they had pot pies and none of them were like this one so yours would definitely be unique! I love chili, it’s definitely a comfort food for me!

Anyway, do you ever use a Crock-Pot? I have a recipe for a soy beef taco soup and it might sound weird but it is definitely delicious!

Haha! The recipes in VT are always so fancy – I don’t think this would cut it for them! But it’s certainly easy and yummy.

I have a crock pot but it’s an older model and doesn’t have auto shutoff, which worries me because I have an irrational fear of electrical fires. 🙂 I know slow cookers are life-changing, so I need to get a new model with all of the bells and whistles that will let me trust it. Taco soup! Mmmm!

4. k8 says:

Looks delish, per usual.

I have a share for you (homemade cookie cutters!):

And a question (can you tell I’m determined to keep you Q&Aing?)

I made a classic banana bread today in a pretty bundt pan (you would love–my MIL got it for me in Lancaster, PA and it’s just darling). As I was wrapping the bread in wax paper, I wondered: What do you think is the best method for preserving your baked goods? Tupperware? Wax paper? Parchment? Foil? Etc etc.

This sounds right up my alley! Thanks, Prof. Janack! I will listen to it this weekend while I am cooking something – my favorite time to catch up on podcasts. 🙂