DSC_0934

Dear Valentine

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of Valentine’s Day.  I get annoyed with the idea that February 14th is the day to measure how much you love someone, or how much they love you.  I think the real measure is how someone treats you when you’re having a bad day or when nobody’s looking.  Am I just being a total grump about this?

Despite my distaste for the romantic emphasis on Valentine’s Day, I do enjoy the fun side of it…in the form of handmade cards and heart-shaped treats.

For example, John’s toast this morning.

Or the picture-perfect Valentine’s sugar cookies from my lovely and talented sister Courtney, who made them for a family party this weekend, and was thoughtful enough to gift wrap a few for me to take home.

I can guarantee that every sprinkle on every cookie was exactly where it was supposed to be.  The crumbs in the photos are all mine.  That’s how I roll.  Or maybe that’s just how I eat…

I hope you all enjoy Valentine’s Day however you celebrate it…or don’t celebrate it.  I think John and I will just go out for supper at our favorite local bar/restaurant instead of making something at home.  Maybe I will put on a dress.

What are your plans?

Lots of extra V-day love in particular to one of my favorite people (and one of my first and most enthusiastic readers) Jessica.  On Thursday she and her husband Mike became brand new parents to their beautiful daughter Bella Jane!  I am so happy and excited for her.  Yay Jess!  Love you!

11 thoughts on “Dear Valentine

1. Megan says:

My mom always made us heart-shaped French toast on Valentine’s Day morning, so your toast reminded me of that. I made us a special dinner tonight… tomorrow night we’ll just eat the leftovers.

Those cookies are beautiful!

That’s so cute, Megan! Making hearts is simple enough – but totally Valentin-izes anything. So fun for kids…and adults. Haha. Hope your special dinner was yummy – I am sure it was!

2. angela says:

I agree….Valentines sometimes seems like just another Hallmark day…..but then it is nice to have something to brighten up a dull February day……like a rose perhaps, or an orange even, something colourful for sure…..

3. leashieloo says:

Those cookies are spectacular! I’m going to be getting dinner with my Valentine and taking it easy at home. It’s definitely a Hallmark-type of day but I love an excuse to be festive!

4. courtney says:

i absolutely love how you took pictures of that small heart cookie after each bite – very clever! the pictures are fantastic – i wouldn’t have thought to stack the cookies like that. so glad you enjoyed them!

5. Jessica says:

Thanks for the wishes! I’m just getting the chance to get caught up on my reading of your blog. Going from eating whatever I wanted to now watching what I eat again makes me want all the yummy food you bake even more!!