Welcome to “The Apron Archives”

Hello Friends!  I am delighted to welcome you to The Apron Archives.

As I have mentioned over my last few posts, I came away from Food Blog Camp overflowing with ideas and inspiration for the future of my blog.  I knew that I needed to think about what I really wanted to focus on in the enormous world of food, and then choose a new name that would work with that.

The first part was easy.  It all comes back to my love of history.  One of my favorite things about food is its powerful connection to the past.  When it comes to telling the story of how we grow and change as a collective people, food doesn’t just have a seat at the table – it’s on the table and in our bodies.  What we buy, cook and eat has grown and evolved with our ever-changing tastes and diets.  I am fascinated by examples of our culinary past, in big-picture ways (like the invention of flash freezing food so it could stay fresher longer) and small ways (like why we eat popcorn at the movies).

At 15 months I was all about my Hoodsie, a New England childhood birthday party ice cream tradition since 1947.

The second part was a lot harder, but I think “The Apron Archives” perfectly encompasses both the domestic and the historic. I want it to be a place where old or forgotten recipes, family food traditions, classic brands, household traditions (both enduring and archaic), kitchen gadgets, and everything in between shine like the sun glinting off a Jell-O mold at a Fourth of July cookout.

I may have to enlist help from time to time, since many memorable examples in vintage cookery feature cocktail wieners and meatloaf…but then again, I might just update them to 2011 and make them vegetarian.

Like most places, the kitchen will be the heart of this home, but I don’t want to spend all of my time there…

My inspiration will come from thrift stores, dog-eared cookbooks, old mom magazines (no joke, I buy these on Ebay all of the time for fun), terrific web resources (like The Food Timeline, Food Reference, Etsy), fellow bloggers (like my camp roommate Sarah’s hilarious Nana Recipe Wednesday series, Brooke’s memory of her first Betty Crocker cookbook for her 5th birthday, and Amber’s recent post on using her Grandma’s cookbook), and also from the minds and memories of family, friends, and you!

I wish I had access to my Great Grammy’s (back row center) Italian recipe box!  Sidenote…I think my Great Grandpa looks like Alec Baldwin.

As always, thank you for visiting…I am looking forward to continuing this adventure!

Love, Aimee

21 thoughts on “Welcome to “The Apron Archives”

1. Kate says:

Congratulations Aimee. I can see you’ve put a lot of time and work into the new look and an idea as bright as “the sun glinting off a Jell-O mold at a Fourth of July cookout.”🙂 I’m very impressed and look forward to reading about the quirky culinary history of the U.S.

Kate, I promised you I would have a new name! Evidently, I couldn’t shake my penchant for the letter “A” and alliteration, but I think it’s enough. 🙂

2. Amber says:

Gong! Gong! This is an exciting launch. Congratulations! I think you should find more opportunities to brainstorm over drinks in Mexico. Maybe you’ll come up with the next Facebook.😉

I also very much appreciate that Kate and I have the same favorite quote from this intro.🙂 Love the way your visual eye expresses itself in your writing.

Looking forward to reading more!

3. Megan says:

What a great blog makeover. I often think I need more direction with mine. I think you’re heading in an amazing direction. I actually wrote my thesis about how food publishing developed over time and delved quite a bit into what we were eating during certain time periods… like those Jell-O molds.🙂

Megan, that’s awesome! I think sometime we should discuss food history over bowls of Cream of Wheat at Neighborhood! We actually ARE neighbors, pretty much!

4. Aimee says:

Thank you everybody! As bloggers yourselves I know that YOU know how much work goes into these things behind the scenes, but also how fun and exciting it is!

Kayte – I still think Amy Sedaris has the best Baked Alaska recipe.
      It looks a mess and she includes like 50 photos of it “in the making”.
      Amazing! Can’t wait to see you in a few weeks!

5. Sally Cameron says:

Fantastic Aimee. Love the new concept and look for your blog! What fun you and your readers will have. I really connect with this because I grew up cooking with my mom. I have one of her 1945 cookbooks. And the food history and trivia aspect, great! You are going to have lots of new readers and traffic. Congrats. Food and cooking does play such a huge part in the social fabric of our lives.