Mexican Pot Pie

I have to admit, I had a hard time adjusting to Boston after Mexico, especially when 18 inches of snow was dumped on the city last Wednesday and I had to trade my sandals for snow boots.  And mittens.  And gloves.

Work was closed for the day so I took the opportunity to make a stick-to-your-ribs (meatless) pot pie.  And because I am still high on FBC energy and flavor, I dressed it up Mexican style.

The napkin was a recent thrifting find.  I am a sucker for food props, and after seeing super food stylist Adam Pearson’s presentation at camp (and getting a photo-peek at his prop room – you should have heard us all “oooooh”) I visited some of my favorite thrift stores in the city and added another dozen napkins and a few plates to my collection.

I will find room for them…somewhere.

Despite my dislike of the cold, the snow really does make everything look clean and bright.

It was a heavy snow so the branches on the trees in my yard and on my walk to the bus stop were all laden down and lovely (when they weren’t broken and blocking the sidewalk).

I have to remind myself that things like stews and pot pies aren’t nearly as delicious if you don’t have scenes like this (and the soaking wet mittens and frozen toes) to help you appreciate their warming powers.

After chatting with Jen at Camp about my love for the historical cult of Betty Crocker (she works for General Mills!), I decided to turn to consult Betty for inspiration getting this meal going.

I adapted it a lot, but I’ve got nothing but love for Betty.

This pot pie delivered just what I was looking for…a spicy, hearty filling balanced by a lightly sweetened cornbread topping.  It made great leftovers for work lunches, too.  Just mix that cornbread in, microwave for 2 minutes, and enjoy!

Mexican Pot Pie
Adapted from Betty Crocker

Filling Ingredients
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 package frozen hamburger-style soy crumbles
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans Rotel, undrained (sold alongside the diced tomatoes)
1 small onion, diced
1 large Portobello mushroom cap, chopped
1 9 oz. package frozen corn, thawed
1 cup water
2 tbsp. baking mix (like Bisquick or Jiffy)
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt

Cornbread Topping Ingredients
2 cups baking mix (like Bisquick or Jiffy)
1 cup corn meal
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. honey (I used some I brought back from Mexico!)
1/2 cup shredded mexican blend cheese (optional)

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • In a large stockpot, heat olive oil and add soy crumbles.  You do not need to defrost the soy crumbles, but it helps to knead the bag before opening to break up any frozen clumps.  Cook soy crumbles for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Add remaining filling ingredients (add additional water if necessary so the liquid is visible) and bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
  • In a medium-sized bowl, mix together cornbread topping ingredients until just moistened, and set aside.
  • Pour filling mixture into an ungreased 9×13 baking dish, and top with cornbread batter.  I had enough extra for 2 ramekins.
  • Bake uncovered for 20 – 25 minutes, or until crust is a light golden brown.

Makes 8 servings.

23 thoughts on “Mexican Pot Pie

1. Laurie says:

I have to say, I could totally get into the props part of the food blog. I like cute accessories, even the houseware variety. And choosing the right ones and arranging them just so for a photograph could entertain me for hours.😀

You have given me some of my prettiest dish towels and “little bowls” – this may be an area of my hobby that we can share when you visit me. Perhaps I will cook something ahead of time and you can play stylist?

• Laurie says:

I’m glad I’ve contributed. I may not be any good in the kitchen, but my heart still flutters when I look at le creuset.

2. Megan says:

I definitely wouldn’t be able to adjust to all this snow after being in Mexico! It does take a meal like this to get through it. Looks so hearty and tasty! I’m in the midst of making chicken quesadillas, so I’ve got Mexican on the brain too.

3. Sarah says:

Cute, cute, CUTE new look! I love it. Good work sister! And the pot pie is a great idea.

The snow looks scary to me though. I get grumpy when it’s under 50*. Sun is shining here and I’m still under the covers.

Thanks, Sarah! I have spent the entire day in my pajamas watching “crime shows” on Netflix and eating the last of my Christmas chocolate…this is apparently what happens when I do that.

I am jealous of your CA weather! Enjoy it! xo

4. k8 says:

First, I love your new website design. It’s so much different than the older version that it will take some adjustment (I like the old one a bunch). Your rooster background IS wallpaper that my gran had somewhere in her house. It’s making me nostalgic.🙂

Pretty pictures of the snow. Your ‘hood is so lovely.

I’m going to go make your cornbread now🙂 I have a slow roasted pork shoulder in the oven (so stinky from all of the garlic and cilantro–yum) and Cuban-style black beans on the range. I think this recipe is just what I need.

So glad you had a wonderful time at FBC. Looking forward to seeing what other new things you’ll try out here!
    xo

Kate – your supper sounds delicious! That cornbread was so good – I hope you and the babeh like it!!

PS…The #1 thing I learned at FBC is that I should try to marry a web designer.

PPS…I love all Nana wallpaper. The paper in the stairwell of my house is “equestrian” themed. I need to get a photo of it…

• k8 says:

Marry a web designer is the most useful thing🙂 If you ever have any weirdo tech questions, do feel free to email Alex. I’m sure he’d be happy to help.

Nana wallpaper🙂 It’s too much.

5. Aimee says:

Thank you guys for the feedback! I need a new name for A&A eventually, but in the meantime I wanted to change a few things around. I know it’s different, but I like it. This template lets me customize my fonts, and it has more customizable options for my sidebars and color themes.

Nerdy nerdy nerdy. 🙂

I bought a few books pattern books last year on sale at the Brookline Booksmith, and they each came with a CD that had pdf’s of all of the designs for “personal use”. One book was folk designs, and the other was floral. You KNOW these chickens came from the folk book. I am a sucker for kitschy folk, and I want to start focusing more on the vintagey stuff.

I’ll try to keep the drastic changes to a minimum…I learned at camp that people don’t really like that, but I figure my small but special group of constant readers won’t mind.

xoxo

6. Kate says:

Your food pics look great. I love it that you let “shadows be your friend” and got down and dirty with the crumbs. Cute cocks er roosters🙂

haha! my boyfriend started to comment on the crumbs (as in, “wtf is with the crumbs?”) until i made him look at photos from adam’s site, pointing out every time he used crumbs to add texture. it was a triumphant moment. 🙂

7. Amber says:

Love the new thrift napkin!🙂 And love the photo it’s in. I can tell you were paying attention in food styling class. I was looking at some fancy cameras in the store yesterday… dreaming of such good photos. You really have an eye for it!

8. moowiesqrd says:

LOVE the new look, love the photos, love it all. I’m amazed at all of the changes made due to FBC. Did you just design the logo or was it something that was in the works for a while? If I recall (and I may not recall correctly), the old layout didn’t have the logo, right?

9. Aimee says:

thank you, marie! i had a header, but i changed my template to one with more customization (esp with fonts) and added the chickens. then i made a new header in (ahem) a glorified version of paint. can you tell?

i have a new name coming soon, so there will be some more changes, but every day i figure out more how i want this bad boy to look.

and i love it! 🙂

10. Damaris says:

Betty Crocker is my favorite. The first cookbook I ever got was theBetty Crocker Bridal Edition, it’s still my favorite. I like this recipe. Will you be sad if I made mine with meat?