Homemade, Chewy Granola Bars

chewy, homemade granola bars

I love granola bars.  The real kind.  For me this means without chocolate chips or loaded with excessive added sugars.

I prefer the soft, chewy bar to the crisp, crunchy variety – but either way, a granola bar done right is the ultimate adaptable, portable, healthy snack.

If you’re a granola bar fan, making your own is a great way to save money, increase nutritional value, and tailor them to suit your taste.

chewy, homemade granola bars

While these are baking the smell is wonderful.  Toasted nutty, fruit, oaty, buttered heaven.  Yankee Candle needs to get going on this…

chewy, homemade granola bars

I loved these granola bars and they made a great on-the-go breakfast bar.  Satisfying and filling, they lasted all week and met with a lot of praise.  I am already looking forward to making another batch using a new fruit and nut combination.

What would be in your dream granola bar?

Sidenote:  My little sister Melanie used to adorably call granola “regola” when she was a toddler.  Now she is halfway through college and makes me feel old, but also so very, very proud.  Love you, Smelly Melly!

Chewy, Homemade Granola Bars
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen and King Arthur Flour

Ingredients
1 2/3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup oat flour (or 1/3 cup oats, ground until fine in a food processor or blender)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2-3 cups dried fruit and nuts (10-15 oz. if using a scale)
1/3 cup nut butter (almond, peanut, cashew, etc.) (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla
6 Tbsp. melted butter
1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey)
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1 Tbsp. water

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 8×8 pan with parchment or non-stick foil, allowing for overhang on 2 sides.  Lightly grease the parchment or foil and exposed pan.
  • In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients, including your selected fruits and nuts.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, maple syrup, corn syrup, vanilla, and water.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture, and toss to combine.  Add nut butter if you are using it.
  • Press mixture into prepared pan with the help of a rubber spatula.
  • Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the bars are browned around the edges.  The mixture will still seem soft in the middle, but it will set as it cools.
  • Cool the bars completely in the pan, then lift the parchment or foil to remove and place on a cutting board.
  • If they seem crumbly (mine did) pop them in the fridge for a half hour to make them easier to cut neatly.  You may want to store them in the fridge if the weather is humid.  Either wrap them individually or stack them in an airtight container.

For my bars, I used chopped walnuts, almonds, cherries, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, and unsweetened coconut.

Note that if you use peanut butter, you will definitely taste it!

Print Version

Categories: Cookies & Bars, Snacks

11 Comments on “Homemade, Chewy Granola Bars”

1. July 4, 2011 at 8:05 am #

Awesome Photos!

2. I’m not a huge fan of granola bars. But maybe that’s because I’ve never made them myself. These look great.

3. July 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

These sound awesome. I usually like to throw dried cherries, chocolate, and almonds in my granola bars.

4. July 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

Your granola bars look great, I love when they are chewy as opposed to crunchy. Crunch only belongs on top of yogurt, not when you’re enjoying a bar!

5. July 5, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

crispy makes me think those nature valley granola bars… which will break your teeth! but surprisingly I bought some in Vietnam and because of the humidity they were pleasantly chewy.

These look awesome! I used to make a lot of my own granola but never tried to make it into bars… definitely going to. As soon as I make that pound cake recipe AHHH!!

6. July 7, 2011 at 9:25 am #

These look fantastic! Like you I enjoy a little “chew” to my granola bars- these are going on my list of “must make”!

7. July 7, 2011 at 11:46 am #

I remember seeing these when Deb posted her version. I’ve never made granola bars with butter before. I think for me, that takes them far over into dessert bar territory as opposed to just granola bar. But the important thing is, they look amazing.

8. July 10, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

I’ve been wanting to make my own granola bars for a while, and I think this is the winning recipe I’m going to try!

9. Brita
    July 19, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

I tried Deb’s recipe once, and wasn’t thrilled. Perhaps it’s because I’m more of a crunchy-granola bar person. Did you come across any recipes that seemed to have the potential for crunchiness?

Also, this made me think of you!

10. September 11, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

These look amazing. I’ve made granola bars before (and sometime I do add chocolate…) but not in a while. I’m also a fan of chewy over crunchy!

11. January 25, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

Thank you SO much for posting this. We are granola bar junkies over here in Olympia, Washington (where the people are labeled as granola-crunchers, go figure), and I’m always looking for new recipes that will be satisfying to my appetite and also to what my body needs. You are a saint, with all these recipes right up my alley! And your photography is beautiful, too!