Gooey Layered Everything Bars

I was the kind of kid that ordered bubble gum ice cream and actually ate the Peeps in my Easter Basket.  I complained loud and long whenever my mother put nuts in her brownies and cookies (which earned me the classic mom line, “Someday when you make your own brownies and cookies you can put whatever you want in them!”) and you couldn’t get me near a raisin if there was a chocolate chip nearby.

As an adult, I am delighted to say I now crave the “grown-up” flavors of bittersweet chocolate, dried fruit, nuts, and toasted coconut.  I appreciate the natural taste and texture each of them brings, and I give them their due credit.

Apparently, so does John.  We had dinner with his parents last weekend to celebrate his dad’s birthday (it was a delicious dinner, too…tortellini with mushrooms in a cream sauce, asparagus with parmesan, and a hearty wheat bread) so I gave John the latest issue of Everyday Food and asked him to pick something to bring.

I didn’t think he would go along with it, but he took the job seriously, made his choice and then helped me make it.  It was actually a lot of fun, with only one minor mishap…

See those crumbs everywhere?  Long story short, we ran the crust dough in the food processor too long, so the oats that are added to it at the very end ended up getting pulverized.  I added more butter to try to make up for the added “oat flour”, but it still came out very crumbly.  Oh well. The bars still tasted good!

I love a dense, chewy bar.

The magical ingredient here is sweetened condensed milk.  For a long time, I didn’t understand what condensed milk was, or how it differed from evaporated milk.  I can now share with you the following:

• Condensed milk is a thick, sweet concoction.  It’s milk with the water removed and sugar added to sweeten it.  The end result is canned and can last for years unopened on your grocer’s shelf….or in your pantry.
  • Evaporated milk is milk with around 60% of the water removed, and no sugar is added.  It is also canned, and can withstand higher temperatures without curdling than regular milk.

Condensed milk glues all of the “everything” together in these bars.  Here they are, lovely and packaged and ready to go in their Sunday best.

Gooey Layered Everything Bars
Adapted from April 2011 Everyday Food

Ingredients
Non-stick cooking spray
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins (or dried cherries)
1 can (14 oz.) condensed milk
2 cups (7 oz.) sweetened, shredded coconut

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment, allowing for overhang on the short sides.  Spritz some cooking spray onto the parchment.
  • In a food processor, pulse butter, sugar, flour, and salt until it looks like coarse meal.
  • Add the oats and pulse a few times, until just combined.
  • Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the dish and bake until golden brown, around 20 minutes.
  • Scatter chocolate chips, nuts, and raisins on top of the baked crust.  Drizzle with the condensed milk and sprinkle the coconut evenly on top.
  • Return to the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the coconut is toasted.
  • Allow the pan to cool completely on a wire rack, then lift the parchment and remove it from the bottom of the bars.
  • Use a very sharp knife to cut into 18 squares.  Store in an airtight container at room temp for up to 3 days.

Printable Version

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Cookies & Bars

15 Comments on “Gooey Layered Everything Bars”

1. April 7, 2011 at 10:38 pm #

I love that last picture – nice work! So cute that John took his task so seriously and even helped out with the baking.

April 8, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Jen…it was cute. Even though his lack of attention to detail caused the crust error (he said I could out him on that), it didn’t matter because it was more fun making them with him! :)

2. April 8, 2011 at 9:28 am #

I love these bars, the close up makes me ravenous!

April 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

I am all about the close up, LL! Have a great time on your vacation! Can’t wait to see the pics!

3. April 8, 2011 at 10:09 am #

These look great Aimee! I’ve made a similar version before, but it has a graham cracker bottom. Great photos too! Also, how do you get the “printable version” at the bottom of the recipe? I haven’t figured that out yet…

April 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

I bet I would have a lot more luck with a graham cracker crust. Perhaps I will do that next time…thanks for the suggestion!

I use Google Documents for my printable versions. Once you save the document and make it public – you can grab a link, and that’s what I post. I have no idea how other people get their fancy printable features, but this is an easy way that still gets the job done. :)

4. April 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

I’ll take an adult bar from your kitchen any day! Those layer bars look sinful, extra crumbs and all. :)

5. maureen
    April 9, 2011 at 10:45 am #

I can attest to how great these are. I have to admit I ate a few for breakfast justifying my action by noting that oats and raisins are definately breakfast foods. Good any time of day. Thanks Aimee and John.

April 10, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

Sounds like a breakfast food to me! Glad you enjoyed them – I loved John’s involvement. :) Thank you again for the delicious dinner and lovely visit!

6. April 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

These sound wonderful. I would definitely make them with dried cherries. Dried cherries and chocolate is one of my latest obsessions.

April 10, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

I agree with that combination, Megan! YUM!!

7. Jenn
    April 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Seriously these look amaazzzinngggg. (and yes, the added emphasis was necessary.) Fyi, graham cracker crust for these are pretty solid. I use them when I make my own version of these – “magic cookie bars.” mmm tasty.

8. April 18, 2011 at 9:30 am #

Wait you ate Peeps? Kidding… Aren’t kids supposed to eat that stuff. These look great by the way. I wish someone would put them in my Easter basket.

9. April 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

That bars looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe would love to try this one soon!

Raymund

10. May 8, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

So pretty! Where’d you get those cute cupcake papers?