The Stairway Cafe

After a super fun night at Greg and Courtney’s wedding, nothing could have been more delightful than waking up Sunday morning to the sight of falling snow.  It really capped off the Currier and Ives feel of the weekend, and since I knew I wasn’t the one that was going to be driving in it, I could enjoy it without an ounce of dread.

After we packed up the car and said our goodbyes, we headed towards North Conway to see what we could find for breakfast.  It’s no secret that I like breakfast as more than a friend.  I used my phone for suggestions, and we ended up at the Stairway Cafe, a mother and daughter owned spot on North Conway’s charming, shop-filled main thoroughfare.

Up a flight of stairs we found a small dining room, with a cluster of tables.  The decor was warm, colorful and kitschy.  Faded wooden signs were on the walls, snowshoes filled the window, and a gas stove made things cozy.

The tables themselves were delightful, covered in a retro-patterned vinyl.  Large blue mugs held soft, worn bandana napkins.  Colorful mini colanders held jams and sugars.  An old-fashioned milk bottle held the milk that came with our coffee (which was darn good!).  Needless to say, I loved it all.

When our food came I am pretty sure I closed my eyes and sighed with happiness.  Both of our dishes came with either home fries, vegetarian baked beans or homemade MacIntosh applesauce.  I wanted to try the apple sauce, but I absolutely cannot turn down vegetarian baked beans.  John got the home fries.

I got the “Bonzo Breakfast Burrito”, which was a grilled whole wheat tortilla filled with onions, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, black beans, scrambled eggs, cheese, and was topped with sour cream and homemade salsa.

John got “The Omelet”, which came with green peppers, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes, ham, bacon and cheddar cheese.

Everything was fresh and delicious, with quick and friendly service.  Needless to say, we left very happy, full, and ready for the 3 hour drive home in the snow!

(I also loved this plate.  I am a little obsessed with chartreuse right now.)

In holiday-related news, I am trying hard to maintain my pure holiday spirit despite how behind I am in the many things I want to do, bake, make, and give.  Oh well…what I get done, I get done.  I have my Christmas playlist keeping me company on the bus and at work (one part classics like Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, etc…one part Handel’s Messiah…one part “A Smoky Mountain Christmas”) and it does the job.

Today’s Cup of Cheer is one of my favorite Christmas photos.  It’s my Papa with me, my sisters, and my cousin Jaime on Christmas morning circa 1986.  We were all living with my grandparents at the time, and he is reading a note from Santa to us, written on the back of a paper plate.

The fact that he is shirtless and eating Eggo’s and drinking tea out of a Pyrex mug is what I love the most about the picture, because it is classic Papa…but I also love how the scene totally embodies the childhood wonder of Christmas.  We 4 girls, in our matching pajamas, totally believed.  We had been good and Santa had come and brought us presents and a note.  Very special stuff.

Today, December 17th was my Papa’s birthday.  He passed away in March of 2001, and we all sure do miss him.

One more reminder to let the stress of the holidays go, and keep the real reason for the season front and center.  Family, friends, love, hope, peace, and joy.

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Christmas, Featured Establishment Spotlight

10 Comments on “The Stairway Cafe”

1. December 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

What a cute little restaurant. North Conway is so much fun.

And this is such a nice post to remember your Papa.

2. Aimee
    December 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

Megan, when we passed StoryLand I almost died – I went there so often as a kid! I want to plan a return trip to the area. It seems like it’s fun in all seasons. I just love little getaways!

I hope Papa wouldn’t mind me posting a shirtless pic of him, but he was Italian. It’s not a surprise, right? :)

3. December 17, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

That place looks amazing. And the food loks great as well. Great post

4. Shannon
    December 17, 2010 at 6:57 pm #

Can’t wait to see you guys! Even though I might not comment on every post, I look forward to checking here each day. Love ya, Aimee!

December 18, 2010 at 12:05 am #

Thanks, Shannon! I cannot wait to see you guys and catch up – it’s going to be so much fun! I hope Donovan is practicing being Santa! xo

5. December 17, 2010 at 10:08 pm #

1. This post made me all teary eyed (well the breakfast part just made me hungry) but the rest of it was just so sweet and I totally have the same sort of pictures from my childhood. All with matching pjs. My mom still gives my sisters and I new pjs every Christmas eve. I get all emotional thinking about sharing all these family traditions with Rowan now. Oh man I love Christmas. Thanks for keeping this crazy holiday season in perspective for us all.

December 18, 2010 at 12:03 am #

Aww, Jen! I love the pj tradition! Will Rowan be getting her own this year? I loved the photos you posted the other day of your family being wacky during the holidays – it shone through how much you love each other and how much fun you have together. Rowan is such a lucky little lady to get to be a part of that now! It’s going to be so exciting bringing her into your traditions and starting new ones for her!

6. December 18, 2010 at 9:48 am #

What a cute little spot! Looks so “New Englandy”

7. December 19, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

Oh em gee, that cafe looks like the perfect place to go on a snowy day! And the food looks so delish!

8. courtney
    December 20, 2010 at 12:34 am #

ummm…did you really post a picture of smucker’s jelly? ahem?!

your write-up of that papa photo is beautiful, aim. i have SO MANY wonderful memories – and i am so fortunate that you and tara and jaime are in all of them! xoxo

now i want an omelet.