Drop In And Decorate

John and I are headed up to the Wildcat Inn and Tavern in Jackson, NH this weekend for Greg and Courtney’s wedding (yay!) so I am giving you a photo-laden post today to tide you over.

Last weekend I was delighted to hostess my 2nd annual Drop in and Decorate cookie donation party.

I knew it was going to be a long night on Friday because I needed to make cookies, frittata, coffee cake, and holiday bark.  I also needed to clean up and do laundry.

I had a bad start when my raspberry pecan coffee cake burned, so I had to add scones to my menu as a substitute.  The inside of the cake was unblemished, so I am not ashamed to admit that I began breaking it apart and eating hunks of  it after 1:00 AM when I started to get cranky and tired.

Oh boy, do I love pecans and raspberries.

The scones came out great, thank goodness.

So did the Trader Joe’s “potato puffs”.  I have a strong aversion to the phrase “tater tots” so I will go with the phrase I grew up with at Hurd Elementary in Wakefield, MA…though both are terrible.

A few scoops of TJ Mulling Spice in some water was set to simmer on the stove, making my whole apartment smell amazing.

Felt penguins (I made them from a $2 kit at Target) were tucked into my wall Bundts.

Festive gumdrops were put out.

And the “scary elf” ornament was added to my wayward pine bough centerpiece.

Completed cookies were stacked and ready.

Royal icing was made.  Starting, of course, with the beautiful sight of a bowl of perfectly sifted powdered sugar.

White icing was divided into cups.

And colored to perfection with colored gel paste.  Ziptop bags helped get them into the squeeze bottles.

Beautiful spoons!

Beautiful sprinkles.

Beautiful brunch!

My scone was slathered with butter and Courtney’s homemade raspberry jam, and the delicious vegetable frittata, that I forgot to photograph because I was running around like a crazy woman, is hiding in the back.

On to decorating with the ladies!  Jessica O, Teresa, me, Sarah, and Gretchen.

Same group, but with Courtney swapped in for me.  I am standing on the couch taking this one.

Sarah’s lovely blue tree and my IRL tree.

Jessica’s miniature candy cane on a cookie, decorated…

…and tweeted.

Gretchen and I made some non-traditional cookies.

And when we were done, Courtney announced the big prize winner.  This was the person that guessed the closest number of cookies we had decorated.

Teresa won the prize – some holiday Jelly Belly’s and the Betty Crocker Cookie Book!

We decorated 106 beautiful cookies.

I donated them to the Cambridge Senior Center in Cambridge, MA.  Their food service manager, Julie, was beyond nice and even sent me a follow-up email letting me know how much the seniors enjoyed them.

And that’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

Extra special thanks to Courtney, who came early and stayed late to help me set up and clean up.

Tags: , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Christmas, Cookies & Bars

10 Comments on “Drop In And Decorate”

1. Ashley G-W
    December 10, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

The colors in the photos in this post are BEE-U-tiful, Aimee! Which I’m sure Sarah appreciates, b/c her eyes have never looked bluer! It looks like a super fun morning – I’m bummed to have missed it!

December 13, 2010 at 9:05 am #

i thought the same thing about sarah’s eyes! stunning!

if you are ever back here at the right time you have a seat at the cookie-decorating table, ashley!

2. m.g.w.
    December 11, 2010 at 8:38 am #

What a nice thing to do for the seniors. I hope some day (many, many years from now…..;) you host a cookie party for my some-day-in-the-furture-senior-center!!!!
    Beautiful cookies, beautiful photo’s and beautiful decorators!
    *Linus was so right!!!

3. Maureen
    December 11, 2010 at 8:58 am #

The cookies are beautiful! And what a nice donation for the seniors. You are sooo thoughtful.

4. December 11, 2010 at 9:02 am #

Gorgeous cookies! I know they brought smiles to many, during a holiday time that can be difficult for older folks. Thank you — and thanks to your talented friends, too!

5. k8
    December 11, 2010 at 11:43 am #

Aw lovely. What a sweet idea. Have the best time this weekend as well!! xo

6. courtney
    December 12, 2010 at 9:27 am #

i LOVE the picture of the sifted powdered sugar. cannot wait for next year!

7. Sam M.
    December 12, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

First of all, your powdered sugar castle is immaculate and I wish I could live there. Second of all, Trader Joe’s makes mulled wine mix??! Now I know what I’m asking Santa to fill my stocking with…

8. Aimee
    December 13, 2010 at 9:06 am #

Thank you, everyone! We had a great time decorating, and it always feels great to do something for others – especially during the holiday season. I’d love to do this more often…

9. Ingrid
    December 13, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

Have you posted your raspberry pecan coffee cake recipe? I’d love to have it. Raspberry flavor anything is my favorite…Even burned, it looked wonderful!