This year I am very excited to participate in the Community Servings “Pie in the Sky” annual Thanksgiving fundraiser.
Community Servings is a wonderful organization that provides free home-delivered meals and nutrition programs to Eastern Massachusetts residents in need – specifically homebound individuals and families struggling with HIV/AIDS, cancer or another life-threatening illnesses that has caused them to be too sick to shop or cook for themselves.
Now in its 18th year, “Pie in the Sky” gives caring neighbors the opportunity to purchase a pie that has been artfully baked by one of Boston’s best restaurants, bakeries, caterers and hotels for your Thanksgiving table. These businesses donate thousands of pies each year, that volunteers like me then sell for $25 each. Your $25 provides a week’s worth of hearty home-delivered meals to a Community Servings’ client…and a tasty Thanksgiving treat to you!
Last night Jessica O. and I went to the Pie Seller Kickoff Party at Rocca in the South End to pick up our volunteer materials and sample some delicious cocktails. I had the Burnt Orange and Cranberry Pie martini. Who isn’t a sucker for drinks in a mason jar?
Jessica tried the Maker’s Maple Walnut Old Fashioned. I tried a sip, but man…I just don’t like whiskey.
The posters for the campaign are charming and eye-catching. We were all given buttons featuring the trademark slice of pumpkin pie and the slogan “The Secret Ingredient Is You”.
Here’s how it all works:
- Purchase your pie! You can choose from apple, pecan, pumpkin, sweet potato, or diabetic apple. You can also choose to donate a pie, or purchase a special Raffle Apple Pie for $75. This pie enters you to win a variety of great raffle prizes. The link to the prizes isn’t working right now, but I will provide the details ASAP.
- Local restaurants, bakeries, caterers and hotels get busy baking your pies.
- The thousands of pies are picked up by volunteers and brought to be organized at “Pie Central” in Boston (see below).
- The pies are then shipped to over 50 local distribution points in Boston and the surrounding suburbs to be picked up by you the day before Thanksgiving, or delivered by me if you are in my family.
- You get to enjoy a delicious pie in your mouth and belly on Thanksgiving, but also a warm feeling in your heart because your contribution is helping feed those in need.
Here is a view of “Pie Central” from last year’s event:
I will be putting the “Pie in the Sky” logo on the right hand side of my blog for the next few weeks that will take you right to my fundraising page with Community Servings. I know money is tight these days and we all participate in many charity opportunities throughout the year, so I appreciate you even taking the time to read this.
I take it for granted sometimes that if something bad ever happened to me or someone close to me, there would be an army of friends and family to swoop in and provide the most basic of essentials….food, clothing, shelter, kindness, and support. Community Servings makes sure those of us that don’t have that army are still provided with nourishing and delicious meals, human contact, and the knowledge that others care.
Click here to read a wonderful little feature on a Community Servings driver, Bobcat Smith.
Opportunities really are everywhere to make a positive difference in someone else’s life.
The secret ingredient is you!